OLPH Pedaling Padres

Please contribute to my benefit ride for the Our Lady of Perpetual Help Cancer Home here in Atlanta! Every dollar counts!



Saturday, July 20, 2013

Some thoughts on World Youth Day, 1 day away



I made a promise to one of the men in formation for the Diaconate that I would blog about World Youth Day.  Here's post 1!  24 hours from now, I'll be on an American Airlines flight down to Rio to celebrate the perhaps most epic Catholic event in history, World Youth Day.

While registrations are said to be low, I imagine that non-registered pilgrims will show up in the hundreds of thousands.

I'm fortunate to be traveling and pilgrimaging with a conglomerate group from Atlanta's Cathedral parish and the official Life Teen group.  From what I understand, your's truly will be the priest-celebrant for the Life Teen XLT event mid-week with Randy Raus and Matt Maher.  Twitter's @SouthrnCatholic is even rumored to be giving a talk. #InThePresenceOfGreatness






Sorry for the lame photo placement.  Blogger doesn't let you do much and is quite finicky.  

There's also been lots of buzz surrounding security concerns.  The Rio police force has even expressed some worry over the event.  Apparently, Pope Francis has decided not bring the armored and bullet-proofed popemobile.  He'll be riding open air.

The way I see it, Pope Francis is FEARLESS.  Since his election earlier this year, he's taken numerous opportunities to show how little concern he has for typical protocol.  He frequently wanders away from his security entourage when in Rome; I imagine he wonders why he should be isolated even more when he's on his home continent.  He will not cower in fear when the world's youth want to be close to him, especially at a moment when he can manifest the closeness of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Yet, might reason dictate he take a more balanced approach?  Ought not the visible head of a major world religion and head of state take precautions to ensure his safety? There's also precedent.  I can't remember anyone getting upset over Pope Benedict using the special protective popemobile in Sydney or in Spain.  After all, if Pope Francis is a beloved pope, shouldn't he want to stick around as long as possible?  Depends on one's priorities, I suppose.

Security is close on my mind.  Because of the alertness and concern for well-being and safety I was raised under, I feel I have a heightened awareness, a hyper-sensitivity toward possible danger.  Don't get me wrong: I'm confident that World Youth Day is going to be awesome, prayerful, and safe.   Yet it would be naive and foolish to disregard the statistics that Brazil is one of the most dangerous countries in the world.  If something tragic happens, especially if it's done with express hatred of the Catholic faith or the person of the Holy Father, I'll be happy to go down in history as "and Companions" in the liturgical celebrations of "Pope St. Francis, Martyr, and Companions".

Please God, don't let it come to that!  Keep your children safe, let this be a tremendous outpouring of your grace!  Bring your sons and daughters back to your mercy through the Sacraments, through powerful expressions of faith, through an unshakeable hope!  Rain down your Spirit of peace upon the people of Brazil.  May our witness of the Love of Christ conquer the violence in their hearts.  May the joy of your pilgrims bring light to the darkness of broken hearts!


No comments:

Post a Comment