OLPH Pedaling Padres

Please contribute to my benefit ride for the Our Lady of Perpetual Help Cancer Home here in Atlanta! Every dollar counts!



Saturday, July 27, 2013

The Victory of the Cross

Yesterday was all about the Cross, and how fitting for Friday.  

It started off with very little suffering...we took the morning and midday to soak up the first rays of sunshine we've seen since day 1 and chilled on the Copacabana beach.  The dudes had a blast getting beaten up in the surf and the ladies held down the fort taking in a little extra vitamin D.  I wish I could show you the waves!  There were a good couple that were probably in the 15-20 foot category, and man do they pack a punch!

After a quick shower and change, we went back to Copacabana to greet the Holy Father again.  This time I didn't bother with my fancy camera and just used my iPhone.  I posted his driveby on my YouTube channel.  Here's the link:

http://youtu.be/6-3eLVPXzb0

I was able to screen capture a front image and a back image as he whipped past us.



Unfortunately, he was favoring the left side again , but still a huge thrill to be so close to the new Pope.  I'm reminded of Acts 5:15.  Check it out.

On Fridays during World Youth Day, they always have a specia dramatic portrayal of the Stations of the Cross, and this was by far the most amazing Stations I've ever been to in my life...no joke, no hyperbole.  The reflections they had at each station were spot on powerful points to ponder for teens, covering everything from how we treat the poor to breaking our addiction to social media.  The music was spectacular (and I'll completely admit to being a snob when it comes to music, especially liturgical music).  The Holy Father then had some great words to encourage us all to really examine what the Lord is trying to personally give us through his gift of love on the cross and what we can give the Lord through the crosses that we carry.  "No matter how big or small our crosses are, the Lord carries them with us."

Full text: http://www.news.va/en/news/pope-francis-wyd-way-of-the-cross-full-text/?frommarfeel=yes

This is where things got hairy.  

The girls wanted to stay for the post-concert to see Matt Maher perform, but the guys were tuckered out, so one of the other chaperones and I walked them back to the hotel.  Stephen and our videographer Ryan stayed with the ladies.  Back at the ranch, I kicked off my sandy Nikes and took a little rest on the couch in my room.  We were going to have Mass when everyone returned from the concert, so I couldn't get too comfy.

As I began to dose, Stephen knocked on the door.  I opened the door and noticed immediately something wasn't right.  He said "Padre, it's been a terrible night."  He was still riding the adrenaline from whatever had just happened.  His brow was sweaty and there as a focus in his eyes I've never seen before.  

"Masked protestors stormed the concert.  Some had gas masks and others had facial coverings that said 'F*** the Pope'."

As he caught his breath, he told me how, as Matt was playing, some 200 protestors just rushed the stage.  The military police present went on high alert, but the masked morons, as I like to call them, were already into the crowd.  Stephen and Ryan grabbed the girls and, by their good instincts, got the heck out of there and brought the girls to safety away from all the commotion.

Here's the only article I can find that documents last night's incident: http://www.demotix.com/news/2294789/protesters-crash-world-youth-day-festivities-rio-de-janeiro#media-2294774

The girls were pretty shaken, but everyone was OK.  We had a relatively silent dinner as we all took in what happened.

This morning we were able to talk about it a little, having now a little separation form the incident.  

For good news, we have been offered to watch tonight's vigil from a roof top balcony.  I think we're going to take it :)

We're a pretty resilient group, we 2 million Catholics are!  We'll certainly play it safe, but no doofus with a mask on is going to take our joy.  The faith shines its brightest when it is persecuted, when it stands against ignorance and protest with steadfast hope and perfect charity.

Please pray for the peace of Bazil.  These protestors are angry not at the Church per se, but at their government.  May they respond to their civil woes with peaceful protest, leaving us pilgris to worship our Lord and to intercede for the World's Youth.





1 comment:

  1. Liturgical music snob. Hmmm. I get it. :)

    Thank you for the update. Please keep holding the banner of faith HIGH! We're all praying for y'all!

    ReplyDelete