OLPH Pedaling Padres

Please contribute to my benefit ride for the Our Lady of Perpetual Help Cancer Home here in Atlanta! Every dollar counts!



Saturday, May 23, 2015

Tour de Zombie

I felt like a zombie this morning...it has been an incredibly hectic past couple of weeks, and, in all honesty, I haven't been taking very good care of myself lately...binge eating, late nights, and very early mornings.  It's been emotionally draining as well, with the sadness of the recent deaths in the Pius family juxtaposed to the extreme excitement of both my brothers' graduations (William from high school and Patrick from law school) AND of the seniors from St. Pius... #allthefeels.

After a great "welcome to the block" party for Fr. Michael Revak, the new Parochial Vicar at St. Brigid Catholic Church in Johns Creek that went to the late hours of the evening, I came down to Peachtree City for the weekend to celebrate William's achievements.  As has become my custom when I visit my parents, after a little time of playing Call of Duty with my brother I fell asleep on the floor, and despite everyone's best efforts to get me upstairs, there I remained.

Dad woke me up with a plate of kiska and eggs and an invitation to ride.  Feeling stiff-necked (in many senses) and tired, I begrudgingly accepted.  But, as my mother would be very quick to point out, the things I complain the most about doing are generally the things through which there is the most to be gained.

We only did 18.35 miles, but it was a great 18.35 miles.  We took a newish route that brought us down to Senoia, which Walking Dead fans will recognize as the locus of much of the show's filming.  Downtown Senoia was used for the Governor's town of Woodbury, and just across the tracks is the walled town of Alexandria where there is active filming for the upcoming season.  Dozens of tourists were walking the streets of what used to be a very sleepy southern town.  We rode past Alexandria's entrance, which is guarded by a plain-clothed security dude, and then over to a row of fancy trailers, which I assumed are the actors' on-set residences.


You can see from the map at the left how close my parents live to zombie land.  They are at the stop sign and the Senoia set is right at mile marker 10.  It's very likely that if a real zombie apocalypse were to break out, my family would be among the first know.  I think they'd survive.  William, the recent high school grad, is an expert bb gun marksman and is also very handy with a pickax and tactical shovel.

We're going to do a big ride tomorrow.  I'm hoping for something in the 70s range. The ride is two weeks from tomorrow!

Make a donation if you haven't already!  CLICK HERE to do so!  I'm almost to $3000!

Ride on.




No comments:

Post a Comment